Saturday, June 09, 2007

Bring Back the Rule of Law

I don't comment on politics very often on this blog, partly because, given the politics of both the majority of Pagans and Quakers, I'd be preaching to the choir, and partly because that's just not the focus of this blog: I try to write about what's bubbling in my spiritual life rather than on the news.

But I am deeply concerned about this issue, and seeing any reason at all to hope that we may turn back from the soulless folly of our policy on "enemy combatants" touches me in a very tender place. To bring back habeas corpus is just a beginning, of course, and even Christopher Dodd's proposed legislation (which does go farther than the version recently approved by the Judiciary Committee) to ban use of evidence obtained by torture and to reaffirm the Geneva Convention does not go far enough. But it is at least a beginning.

More information is available at The Nation, at Pittsburgh School of Law's The Jurist, and at Christopher Dodd's own website. The Friends' Committee on National Legislationoffers its perspective here, and you can find out more news, and learn about ways to become involved, by visiting the ACLU'sFind Habeas.

(Thanks to Christine at Quiet Paths for the link to the Dodd video; with no TV, I'd never have seen it on my own.)

6 comments:

Ali said...

I completely agree with you on this, and my heart sinks every time I see a politician trying to puff up his "tough-on-terror" rep by saying sometimes torture or "extreme interrogation techniques" are "necessary." No. No no no. In article 2, section 2, the "Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment" (a UN convention ratified by the U.S. in 1994) states: "No exceptional circumstances whatsoever, whether a state of war or a threat of war, internal political instability or any other public emergency, may be invoked as a justification of torture."

I'm with Craig Murray, former British Ambassador to Uzbekistan, when he said, "I would personally rather die than have anyone tortured to save my life."

Cat Chapin-Bishop said...

Well, I'm not sure I'm as brave as you or Craig Murray are, Ali... but I hope I would feel the same if I had to make a stand.

I'm very glad that we are making some headway against the acceptance of this sort of cruel folly.

quietpaths said...

Thank you for the link, Cat. BTW, you have been tagged on my blog. (All for fun and creativity.) Keep up the good writing! christine

Ali said...

Tag! Check out this nifty "Gotta Get Goals" meme, if you like. :)

Cat Chapin-Bishop said...

I think I'll pass on this one, Ali... I gave it a try, but my writing sounded much too much like the New Years resolutions I used to write myself in middle school... Though it was tempting to publish it anyway, since the last week of school is leaving me too drained for much creativity!

Perhaps I'll come back to this one, if I'm able to come at it more intelligently down the line. Thanks for the tag!

Cat Chapin-Bishop said...

Oops! I thought I'd already put up my comment to Quiet Paths.. Thanks again for the meme, but I think I'm going to pass on this one. I just don't seem to have enough spare brain cells to get much to work this week...

Oh, how I'm looking forward to a summer of writing!

Share it