Skip to main content

Almost Imbolc

This has been a wierd, wierd winter here in New England... a kind of winter in name only, rarely dipping below freezing, with no snow or ice anywhere. But just this past week, we finally got a taste of cold--nights down to the single digits, frost and even a dusting of snow. My hands are chapped for the first time this season.

Oddly, the cold has given me the first breath of spring. I walked out onto my front porch today, took a breath of cold, crisp air, and basked in the brilliant (if chilly) morning light, and I thought, "Spring!"

This is not as odd as it sounds, actually. Ever since becoming Pagan--in other words, for most of my adult life--I've lived in places where Imbolc, the sabbat that marks the first stirrings of spring, is marked by clear, cold weather and the subtlest signs of springtime. If you look closely, there are beginning to be slight swellings at the ends of the twigs on trees. And there's a different flavor in the air, somehow, and a different, brighter, cleaner quality to the light.

Imbolc, Oimelc, Brigid's Day, or Groundhog Day... take your pick. It's always been my favorite of the sabbats, the spokes in the Pagan wheel of the year, with the possible exception of Lammas.

When I lived in Vermont, my favorite way to celebrate Imbolc was to go out for a day of solitary skiing. The bright, hard light reflecting and glinting off the diamond crystals of the snow seemed the most solar thing I could imagine. Fire and ice--moving breathlessly through a world of fire and ice.

Later, when I moved here to Massachusetts to live with Peter, going skiing was not an option--or not an affordable one, at any rate. So I celebrated symbolically, by filling a bowl--a crystal bowl, satisfyingly enough--with snow and chunks of ice from our yard, and then setting white candles to burn in the bowl until the ice was all melted. Some years, I'd have to chisel the cement-hard snow out with a trowel. Those years, snow filled our yard to a depth of six feet or more in places where we'd piled it up from the walks, but little of it was available for "harvesting."

Even if I could locate a bit of snow, melting it away with solar symbolism would seem like bad magic this year. Yes, I worry about global warming. And, though I don't think this winter's snow drought is due solely to that--climate change is slower and harder to guage than this change--I know it's coming. I don't want to invoke it, however much I do want to welcome spring.

Other years, I've taken the Yule greenery and burned symbolic sprigs of it in a cauldron, as a way of saying goodbye to something from the old year I was ready to release. And maybe I'll do some of that this year. Trouble is, I can't really think of anything I'm in need of releasing this year. The lingering effects of the flu, maybe. I got sick over Thanksgiving, and I'm still feeling some of the aftereffects. Still, they'e mostly gone, and I'd rather invoke health than banish my aches and pains.

Beer. I think it may be time to brew beer again. Admittedly, I have no more time than I did when I gave up making my own beer. And the weekend before Imbolc--preferable to brew Imbolc beer on the weekend _before_ the sabbat than on the weekend _after_ it, and quite impossible to find time on February 2 itself--that weekend, I say, is the weekend I will need to grade a huge stack of midterm exams, so that's a bit awkward. Still... Imbolc, sacred to Brigid, the Goddess who is a saint and the saint who is a goddess, and the lady who once turned a bishop's bathwater into beer... Hey. That's the kind of ritual I can get behind. Is there a better symbol for a Pagan who's a Quaker and a Quaker who's a Pagan to welcome the tide of a new year?

Not to mention, any beer I brew now will be at it's best in time for Beltane. It's been years since I've given the morris dancers their proper due. I'd love to have this be the year I changed that!

What to brew, what to brew? Oh, a maple syrup stout, beyond a doubt. What better way to welcome spring to New England? Perhaps I can even lure my friend Tom down from his hilltop to brew with me.

Here's to the chill clear air of Imbolc. Blessed be.

Comments

Bright Crow said…
Dear One,

Thanks so much for reminding me that Imbolc was near. My favorite too, for some of the same reasons.

After decades of following the lunar cycles and the Wheel instead of the calendar of the Roman emperors, I find I "notice" the cross-quarter sabbats...especially this one, this the first hint of spring, and Lammas, with the first hint of autumn...notice them, as you say, in the turning of plant and animal worlds toward the next quarter.

In fact, I've come to think of the cross-quarters as the actual beginnings of each season, with equinoxes and solstices as marking the high-point of each season.

In any event, Brighid's does have the sharpness of candleflame. I chuckle that the pre-Roman Christians of Europe were determined to save this festival by linking it to Luke's story of Mary in the Temple (2:22-40).

In Mary's time, 40 days after the delivery of a first-born son, mothers went to be purified, with their sons to be dedicated to the Lord. Those early Christians had young mothers go on their 40th day to be "churched" in a procession of candles and a purifying ceremony: hence, Candlemas, another name for the day.

But I really like more Brighid's Pagan significance: the forge and the poet's pen.

Maybe your post will stir my grouchy alter-ego, Walhydra, to tell a tale on her blog, Walhydra's porch.

In any event,
Blessed Be,

Michael/BrightCrow
Kate said…
Imbolc...out in Colorado, where winter lasts well into April at times (or so I'm told), Imbolc was a little odd this year. Back in Pennsylvania we'd get a warm day or two, the hints of buds on the ends of branches, maybe (in a warm winter) just the tips of the daffodils starting to show. Here it alternates between subzero and temperatures in the fifties, but the trees are still deeply asleep...but the robins still haven't left and I don't even know if they're supposed to here.

I've only been here since Samhain and I know it'll take some time to adjust to the new cycles of things. For now, I'm seeing each day through as it comes.

Popular posts from this blog

Fame

(Note: there were so many thought provoking comments in response to this post that it generated a second-round of ideas. You can read the follow-up post here .) I have a confession to make. I want to be famous. Well, sort of. I don't want to be famous, famous, and ride around in a limousine and have to hire security and that sort of thing. I just want to write a book, have it published by somebody other than my mother, and bought and read by somebody other than my mother, and maybe even sign a couple of autographs along the way. Mom can have one autographed, too, if she wants. It has to be a spiritual book. A really moving and truthful book, that makes people want to look deep inside themselves, and then they come up to me and say something like, "It was all because of that book you wrote! It changed my life!" And I would say, no, no, really, you did all that, you and God/the gods --I'm a little fuzzy on whether the life-changing book is for Pagans or for Quake

Peter on Grief and Communities

Well, that was unexpected. For the last year, ever since my mom's health took a sharp downturn, I've been my dad's ride to Florence Congregational Church on Sundays. That community has been important for my dad and the weekly outing with me was something he always looked forward to and enjoyed, so I didn't mind taking him there. It meant giving up attending my own Quaker meeting for the duration, but I had already been questioning whether silent waiting worship was working for me. I was ready for a sabbatical. A month ago, my dad was Section-Twelved into a geriatric psych hospital when his dementia started to make him emotionally volatile. I had been visiting him every day at his assisted living facility which was right on my way home from work, but the hospital was almost an hour away. I didn't see him at all for three weeks, and when I did visit him there, it actually took me a couple of seconds to recognize him. He was slumped forward in a wheel chair, lo

There is a Spirit Which I Feel

I was always a "rational use of force" gal. For most of my life I believed that the use of force--by which I meant human beings taking up arms and going off to war to try to kill one another--was a regrettable necessity. Sometimes I liked to imagine that Paganism held an alternative to that, particularly back in the day when I believed in that mythical past era of the peaceful, goddess-worshipping matriarchal societies . (I really liked that version of history, and was sorry when I stopped believing in it as factual.) But that way of seeing reality changed for me, in the time between one footfall and the next, on a sunny fall morning: September 11, 2001. I was already running late for work that day when the phone rang; my friend Abby was calling, to give me the news that a plane had flown into the World Trade Center in New York. So? I thought to myself, picturing a small private aircraft. Abby tried to convey some of what she was hearing--terrorists, fire--but the mag