Skip to main content

The Orchard and the Hedge

Last April, as I may have mentioned, Peter and I planted a sort of mini-orchard of eight semi-dwarf apple trees.

Our new old house sits on a main artery.  Behind the house are literally hundreds of acres of woods, filled with deer, red squirrels, bears, and every sort of tree--including a few old, abandoned apples, and even some lingering chestnut trees.  Before you've gone a quarter of a mile into the woods, the road sounds have faded away, and there's nothing left but the sighing of leaves and the clacking of branches, the cheeky tunes of chickadees and the perpetual scolding of jays.

By the house, however, especially at rush hour, there is a regular flow of sometimes noisy traffic.  Last year, there was often trash in our yard, thrown out of the windows of passing cars.  And the constant flow of traffic makes the yard feel somewhat too exposed and public.

It was for those reasons we decided to plant some trees, hard up by the road, though back behind the salt splash line.  Many people advised us to plant cedars, so that, eventually, we'd have a thick green privacy curtain between us and the road.  I like cedars well enough, and I've seen some hedges I really liked, too, for that matter, but it didn't quite seem right.  And besides, who can eat from a cedar tree?  We decided to plant apples, though we planted them close enough together that--we hope--their branches will touch and seem to intertwine, when they are grown.

They seem to be doing well, and there is much less trash in the yard this year.

A little bit before school started up, my friend Margaret came to visit.  Technically, she was there on business with Peter, but when he had to leave for a committee meeting, she lingered.  We wound up taking a long, leisurely walk in those woods, talking about everything I most wanted to talk about.  It was one of those wonderful conversations that go deeper than a confessional could, in letting you see and air out your deepest self, the kind of give and take that's a blessing wherever you find it, but especially with a friend.

It was a very good walk.

When we returned from the woods, the shadows were getting long, and the air was getting cool with those first hints of fall that come sometimes at the end of August.  The air smelled so clean and so good, and our conversation had ranged so wide and deep, it was only natural that we plunked ourselves down on the grassy hill outside the house, and kept it up watching the way the trees at the edge of the wood blew in the breeze.

But up on the road, the traffic was building to its evening peak.  After a few minutes, Margaret commented on it.

"Yes, well, it's true--that's the one thing about the house we don't really like," I admitted.  "Still, I'm sure that's part of the reason we were able to afford it."

I glanced over at the road, not so very far away, and somewhat spoiling the otherwise idyllic mood created by the late sun on the cool green grass.

"And yet, " Margaret observed, "you chose to plant apples, instead of a hedge."

Photo credit: Kor!An (Корзун Андрей)
Yes.

We chose to plant an orchard, not a hedge.

I think Margaret meant that to be a metaphor.  I think it works as one, too.  It is easy, in this life, to work at planting hedges.  But sometimes, the toughest hedge in the world will not really keep the world out.  And maybe it's better to plant a few apple trees, instead.  Maybe there's a thing, in embracing the world or in turning away from it, that is very much analogous to planting an orchard, or planting a hedge.

Comments

RevCindi said…
Beautifully put. Do not plant hedges in our lives for they block out everything the cover. Plant orchards. They are wonderful and inviting, offering the fruit of their out-stretched limbs to all who would visit them. Wonderful.
Bright Crow said…
Thanks, Cat.

I'm trying to find my way around my hedges...back to where others and I can see each other.

Blessed Be,
Michael

Popular posts from this blog

Fame

(Note: there were so many thought provoking comments in response to this post that it generated a second-round of ideas. You can read the follow-up post here .) I have a confession to make. I want to be famous. Well, sort of. I don't want to be famous, famous, and ride around in a limousine and have to hire security and that sort of thing. I just want to write a book, have it published by somebody other than my mother, and bought and read by somebody other than my mother, and maybe even sign a couple of autographs along the way. Mom can have one autographed, too, if she wants. It has to be a spiritual book. A really moving and truthful book, that makes people want to look deep inside themselves, and then they come up to me and say something like, "It was all because of that book you wrote! It changed my life!" And I would say, no, no, really, you did all that, you and God/the gods --I'm a little fuzzy on whether the life-changing book is for Pagans or for Quake

Peter on Grief and Communities

Well, that was unexpected. For the last year, ever since my mom's health took a sharp downturn, I've been my dad's ride to Florence Congregational Church on Sundays. That community has been important for my dad and the weekly outing with me was something he always looked forward to and enjoyed, so I didn't mind taking him there. It meant giving up attending my own Quaker meeting for the duration, but I had already been questioning whether silent waiting worship was working for me. I was ready for a sabbatical. A month ago, my dad was Section-Twelved into a geriatric psych hospital when his dementia started to make him emotionally volatile. I had been visiting him every day at his assisted living facility which was right on my way home from work, but the hospital was almost an hour away. I didn't see him at all for three weeks, and when I did visit him there, it actually took me a couple of seconds to recognize him. He was slumped forward in a wheel chair, lo

There is a Spirit Which I Feel

I was always a "rational use of force" gal. For most of my life I believed that the use of force--by which I meant human beings taking up arms and going off to war to try to kill one another--was a regrettable necessity. Sometimes I liked to imagine that Paganism held an alternative to that, particularly back in the day when I believed in that mythical past era of the peaceful, goddess-worshipping matriarchal societies . (I really liked that version of history, and was sorry when I stopped believing in it as factual.) But that way of seeing reality changed for me, in the time between one footfall and the next, on a sunny fall morning: September 11, 2001. I was already running late for work that day when the phone rang; my friend Abby was calling, to give me the news that a plane had flown into the World Trade Center in New York. So? I thought to myself, picturing a small private aircraft. Abby tried to convey some of what she was hearing--terrorists, fire--but the mag