Skip to main content

I Remember 9/11

Each year, in my classroom, I deal with the echoes of 9/11/2001.

This year, after the Pledge of Allegiance was recited over the loudspeaker, instead of the usual brief moment of silence, our principal reminded us of what day it was, and asked that we remember those who died. A slightly longer moment of silence ensued.

For me, even an extended "moment of silence" is at once too much and too little remembrance: just enough reminder of the day to awaken my grief, but nowhere near enough time for me to center down, remember properly, and share my sadness with God. I've got the kids to teach, the attendance to take, and I will not be able to do those things if I let myself really honor that particular anniversary in the brief moment our school deems appropriate.

Mine is a school system that is small, rural, and far from Manhattan. Few families have connections in New York. But we have sent a number of graduates or members of our community into the military, and some have died. I've had more than one student stop by my classroom and inform me of the date they are shipping out, and it is one of the most painful moments in teaching for me.

We're not untouched by the changes in the world since 9/11, in other words. But time is passing, and most of the students I teach are freshmen. I realize that I cannot continue to assume that the teenagers in front of me remember the day vividly, as I do. This year, for the first time when the subject arose, I asked whether my students remembered, rather than assumed they did. And they spoke of being young, second graders, and of how the grown-ups around them reacted, and of how they did not understand at first what had happened; how they were afraid airplanes were coming to attack their houses.

They remember 9/11 dimly, in other words, through the lens of childhood, as I remember the assassination of Martin Luther King.

In years to come, my students will not remember at all. And truly appropriate remembrance of the losses of that day--as opposed to formulaic, conventional ones like a school announcement--will fit even more badly into a school-wide moment of silence.

But I remember 9/11.

I remember the day, yes. But for me, the most powerful memories are not of the news itself, but of the aftermath. I've written of my own immediate aftermath, the sudden (I'm tempted to say, "violent") arrival of the peace testimony, elsewhere.

But there is also that other aftermath--of the stories I heard, later, from those who had lost or almost lost someone they loved; of those who fled the collapse of the towers or witnessed the moments after the crash of the planes.

I have written before about the Nameless Gathering in Upstate New York. So many New Yorkers attend that event, and so many were carrying heavy, heavy burdens of anger and grief and fear that year. I am grateful to thank my friend Judy Harrow, who invited me to join her and our friend Geoff Miller in facilitating a kind of debriefing circle. Today, when I remember 9/11, I remember being present for the stories I heard from my friends and my Pagan family.

Never, never will I find words powerful enough for the sense of honor and privilege I feel for having been there with my community in that terrible time.

Thank you, friends, for letting me hear your stories. Thank you for letting me share with you the movements of your hearts and the images that had burned themselves into your eyes. Thank you for letting me hold you--sometimes literally and each of you in my heart. Thank you to those who saw from a distance, who ran in fear, who remembered and and felt and listened and spoke. Thank you for letting me be with you.

Thanks especially to Fireman X., who led a memorial service that weekend for the first responders who died in the attacks. I know that G would have given a good deal, and very possibly his life, to have been working beside them on that day, and I know that it must have been a little bit like dying too, to be reduced to attending the funerals, the endless chain of funerals, hearing the bagpipes again and again and again. Thank you, X., for remembering so deeply, and mourning so true. Part of me stands under the stars, remembering alongside you, even now.

Now, in the days when jingoism has driven out grief, when remembrance is banished to a loudspeaker announcement, I want you, my people, my friends, to know that as you are remembering, I am remembering, too. Not in a single moment on a single day, but in a cool, still well, down in the deepest places of my heart and my being. Down in the deep places, you are always there. Down in the deep places, memory lasts.

Thank you for being my community. Thank you for the gifts of friendship and love in the midst of grief. And thank you for being alive, and for being who you are. I treasure you forever.

Blessed be.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for this posting. It's surreal to me that people young enough to be shipped to wars rooted in 9/11 are barely old enough to remember it.
Liz Opp said…
Thank you, thank you for taking the time to write... and to remember.

I was traveling and visiting family on 9-11 and very much wanted to spend some time reflecting or watching a bit of what TV had to offer on the occasion--and was disappointed that no one else expressed interest.

But reading your post gave me goosebumps.

(And I'm soooooo glad I had a chance to meet you and Peter this past First Day!)

Blessings,
Liz Opp, The Good Raised Up

Popular posts from this blog

Fame

(Note: there were so many thought provoking comments in response to this post that it generated a second-round of ideas. You can read the follow-up post here .) I have a confession to make. I want to be famous. Well, sort of. I don't want to be famous, famous, and ride around in a limousine and have to hire security and that sort of thing. I just want to write a book, have it published by somebody other than my mother, and bought and read by somebody other than my mother, and maybe even sign a couple of autographs along the way. Mom can have one autographed, too, if she wants. It has to be a spiritual book. A really moving and truthful book, that makes people want to look deep inside themselves, and then they come up to me and say something like, "It was all because of that book you wrote! It changed my life!" And I would say, no, no, really, you did all that, you and God/the gods --I'm a little fuzzy on whether the life-changing book is for Pagans or for Quake

Peter on Grief and Communities

Well, that was unexpected. For the last year, ever since my mom's health took a sharp downturn, I've been my dad's ride to Florence Congregational Church on Sundays. That community has been important for my dad and the weekly outing with me was something he always looked forward to and enjoyed, so I didn't mind taking him there. It meant giving up attending my own Quaker meeting for the duration, but I had already been questioning whether silent waiting worship was working for me. I was ready for a sabbatical. A month ago, my dad was Section-Twelved into a geriatric psych hospital when his dementia started to make him emotionally volatile. I had been visiting him every day at his assisted living facility which was right on my way home from work, but the hospital was almost an hour away. I didn't see him at all for three weeks, and when I did visit him there, it actually took me a couple of seconds to recognize him. He was slumped forward in a wheel chair, lo

There is a Spirit Which I Feel

I was always a "rational use of force" gal. For most of my life I believed that the use of force--by which I meant human beings taking up arms and going off to war to try to kill one another--was a regrettable necessity. Sometimes I liked to imagine that Paganism held an alternative to that, particularly back in the day when I believed in that mythical past era of the peaceful, goddess-worshipping matriarchal societies . (I really liked that version of history, and was sorry when I stopped believing in it as factual.) But that way of seeing reality changed for me, in the time between one footfall and the next, on a sunny fall morning: September 11, 2001. I was already running late for work that day when the phone rang; my friend Abby was calling, to give me the news that a plane had flown into the World Trade Center in New York. So? I thought to myself, picturing a small private aircraft. Abby tried to convey some of what she was hearing--terrorists, fire--but the mag