Skip to main content

Peter on Mysticism and Facebook in a Time of Crisis

I read poetry in the mornings. Or theology. Or I journal. Sometimes I meditate, occasionally I will put a prayer into words. It’s a daily spiritual practice, and it helps keep me grounded and centered and sane.

It also draws me into thinking about the deepest levels of reality. I wonder about the relationship between human consciousness and the Divine. I read Plotinus and the Sefer Yetzirah and Erwin Schrödinger and I sit with their thoughts as I might sit staring into the heart of an intricate puzzle, working at it some with my mind but also just letting their insights soak into my unconscious.
I’ve been carrying around Rilke’s Book of Hours the way some Christians carry around their Bibles, and lately I’ve been going back to the original German and hammering out my own translations. It leads me into a much deeper reading, and here and there I think I’ve picked up shades of meaning in the text that were missed by more literate translators. They are poets reading mystical poetry, while I am a mystic reading mystical poetry.

"God speaks to each person before we are formed from the clay
And then, in silence, walks alongside each of us out of the night.
The words, clouded by memory as we emerge,
Are these:
You go now to a place beyond understanding.
Follow your longing, all the way to its end,
And let me walk each step within you.
Blaze up like fire, bright,
And let the shadows cast by all you see
Cover me entirely.
Let in all of it: beauty and horror.
Just go! Neither pain nor joy is final.
Hold fast to me
As we draw near to this land
Called life.
You will know it
By its seriousness.
Give me your hand."
(Rainer Maria Rilke, Book of Hours I, 59, my translation.)
Lately I find myself very reluctant to post on Facebook about Rilke, or anything about my spiritual life. For the last couple of weeks we have been living in a fragile democracy where the president elect is appointing white supremacists as advisers. It’s scary. It demands action to protect the weak and disenfranchised among us, and it demands vigorous, loud, continuous protest.

I have heard people say, “It’s in God’s hands now. God is calling the shots. I’ll just trust in Him.” The temptation is to retreat from the crises of the world into a quietist, introspective spirituality. We want to leave the world situation in God’s (or the Gods’) hands and to forget what Theresa of Avila told us, that “Christ has no body now but yours. No hands, no feet on earth but yours.”

Facebook is a public forum. It seems like Facebook ought to be a place where we can come together and where our individual experiences can coalesce into public opinion and into a movement. But it’s not.Facebook is an echo chamber, feeding everyone only the posts and updates that they want to read, and Facebook is ad-driven, full of click bait. Conspiracy theories and forecasts of doom make good copy, and the real dangers facing our country get lost in the self-indulgence and the hysteria.

So how can I talk about grounding our actions in the promptings of Spirit when our society is in such a moment of crisis? Perhaps I should close with the words of Rufus Jones, a Quaker writing in 1943:

"While I am writing this, the world seems to be collapsing into a primitive chaos of revolution and destruction. It appears to be reverting to a barbarism of hate and blind, self-destructive conflict. The discourse of every hand is about bombing planes, resources of gasoline, the explosive power of chemicals, the control of naval and air bases, the conscription of men, and the collecting of scrap iron. What a time t his is to talk of the soul’s discovery of God! In the midst of the destruction of the capitals of the world, the cry of mangled children and the waste of the supreme creations of genius, who has an ear for the dream of the soul’s communion with Eternal Love and Beauty?

Worshipping in the Woods
Worshiping in the Woods (photo by Cat Chapin-Bishop)
"It has been strangely enough, in such epochs of desolation and confusion that the mystics of history have borne their testimony to the Reality of God and to the resources by which men live. We cannot prepare ourselves for the tasks of rebuilding the shattered world by merely knowing facts, the facts of history and the facts of our laboratories, we must get back to the springs and sources of life, to an experience that fortifies and undergirds us for life, for living. It is now if ever that we need the voice of those who “listening to the inner flow of things, speak to the age out of Eternity.”
(Rufus Jones, New Eyes for Invisibles, including a quote from Lowell’s Columbus.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fame

(Note: there were so many thought provoking comments in response to this post that it generated a second-round of ideas. You can read the follow-up post here .) I have a confession to make. I want to be famous. Well, sort of. I don't want to be famous, famous, and ride around in a limousine and have to hire security and that sort of thing. I just want to write a book, have it published by somebody other than my mother, and bought and read by somebody other than my mother, and maybe even sign a couple of autographs along the way. Mom can have one autographed, too, if she wants. It has to be a spiritual book. A really moving and truthful book, that makes people want to look deep inside themselves, and then they come up to me and say something like, "It was all because of that book you wrote! It changed my life!" And I would say, no, no, really, you did all that, you and God/the gods --I'm a little fuzzy on whether the life-changing book is for Pagans or for Quake

Peter on Grief and Communities

Well, that was unexpected. For the last year, ever since my mom's health took a sharp downturn, I've been my dad's ride to Florence Congregational Church on Sundays. That community has been important for my dad and the weekly outing with me was something he always looked forward to and enjoyed, so I didn't mind taking him there. It meant giving up attending my own Quaker meeting for the duration, but I had already been questioning whether silent waiting worship was working for me. I was ready for a sabbatical. A month ago, my dad was Section-Twelved into a geriatric psych hospital when his dementia started to make him emotionally volatile. I had been visiting him every day at his assisted living facility which was right on my way home from work, but the hospital was almost an hour away. I didn't see him at all for three weeks, and when I did visit him there, it actually took me a couple of seconds to recognize him. He was slumped forward in a wheel chair, lo

There is a Spirit Which I Feel

I was always a "rational use of force" gal. For most of my life I believed that the use of force--by which I meant human beings taking up arms and going off to war to try to kill one another--was a regrettable necessity. Sometimes I liked to imagine that Paganism held an alternative to that, particularly back in the day when I believed in that mythical past era of the peaceful, goddess-worshipping matriarchal societies . (I really liked that version of history, and was sorry when I stopped believing in it as factual.) But that way of seeing reality changed for me, in the time between one footfall and the next, on a sunny fall morning: September 11, 2001. I was already running late for work that day when the phone rang; my friend Abby was calling, to give me the news that a plane had flown into the World Trade Center in New York. So? I thought to myself, picturing a small private aircraft. Abby tried to convey some of what she was hearing--terrorists, fire--but the mag